Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, July 9, 2010

Info Post
All the photos @ Catherine Ashmore/ROH
.
EDIT: one more review - some personal impressions from somebody who attended the performance - James Mayhew/author and illustrator Blog.
.
I won't make comments on what I read in all these articles and reviews. The opinions are different, each judging from his or her point of view. And lots, lots of comparisons to 1994 Traviata. I strongly belive that what counts most is how you feel while watching and listening. How I feel. Lately I noticed that 3 people listening to the same opera can have opposite impressions. So I try to be impartial. I wait to see it with my own eyes.
.
.
Thanks everybody that sent links throughout the day. I also received a comment from a person who attended the performance, somebody who admires Angela and enjoyed every minute of La Traviata. Thank you, Mr Mayhew!
.
I was so lucky to be at Covent Garden last night. The Traviata was sensational; Angela seemed genuinely thrilled - ecstatic even - at the ROARS from the audience. The applause was very lengthy! I have wanted to hear her in this role for 16 years! It was worth the wait. Her interpretation has deepened, there are so many subtleties and colours in her voice, which remains in pristine condition. "Sempre libera!" was taken very quickly; the runs were like diamonds, and left one on the edge of one's seat. Later her voice had more warmth and depth than ever. It seemed that it was a big risk to return to this production, but what a triumph! Gheorghiu to has rethought the role; this was no mere recreation of this production. Much was new and meaningful and powerfully acted.
James Valenti's debut was much liked. His voice is a little light I think for the ideal Alfredo, but he cut a dash on stage and was wonderful in the more tender scenes. Lucic's Germont was grave and powerfully voiced
.I like this production, but this was undoubtedly the best outing for it since it was brand new. An unforgettable evening. Thank you Angela & co!
.
.
And now, the reviews (in no particular order). Take a cup of coffee, there is a lot to read!
.
Opera Today - La Traviata, Royal Opera (and the same review was posted early in the morning on this blog - Boulezian Blog
What's on Stage - La traviata
Musical Criticism - Verdi: La traviata
The Guardian - La Traviata
.
You can find all these articles with the necessary links on the right column of the blog, in t he "Press" section. Just click on the picture.
.

0 comments:

Post a Comment