Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday, December 27, 2009

Info Post
.
What else to do when flying? Reading a book and listening to some music. Short flights don’t provide entertainment on board. But I know that very well. So I’m .. self provided. Because I’m heading to Paris, I thought of something appropriate. Tosca. Did you know that the length of the opera matches exactly the duration of flight from Bucharest to Paris? From the moment you’re allowed to switch on the electronic devices till the moment you’re kindly requested to switch them off. When Violetta falls in love the sun was up in the sky. When she dies, two hours and 15 minuts later, I landed in Paris on a cold, rainy evening.
.
The thing is that I had the libretto with me. I bought it in Vienna, from Arcadia (aka the bookstore of the Opera House). It’s interesting to read while listening. So, with the book in one hand and the Ipod set on Traviata, the first act started. What Traviata, you might ask. It’s a little bit obvious, right?  One with Angela. The Met Production with Jonass Kaufmann as Alfredo and maestro Armiliato conducting. I noticed there were some parts missing (not big, but still missing), such as some lines in Giorgio Germon’s aria in the first part of the second act, just half of Addio del passato and also the words in the end were skipped. After Violetta dies, Alfredo, the doctor, Annina and Giorgio Germont have something to say. “O cielo…Violetta…Oh Dio, soccorasi.. E spenta…Oh mio dolor”. I had another Traviata on the ipod. The 1996 ROH production with Roberto. I checked that one too. Also half of Addio de passato, but they kept the words in the end.
.
I don’t know for sure but people who know the score told me that the ROH production with Solti as conductor follows the score from beginning to end. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Who decides what should be skipped? The conductor, the soloists?
.
Anyway, it was an enjoyable flight with Violetta/Angela and Alfredo/Jonas as companions.
Why am I writing this? Because there’s nothing else to do in Charles de Gaulle airport at 10pm. Just sitting, having a coffee, daydreaming and waiting for the flight to the “kingdom of far, far away” to be announced.
.
As Violetta so full of hopes says… Parigi, o cara, noi lasceremo…
.
And a picture from up, up, up... 10000 meters. Sunset in France

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment