Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Info Post
.
Mediafax, the Romanian press agency, has a correspondent in New York. Mr Ilie Fugaru talked to Angela after the performace of Traviata on March 29th. The entire article, in Romanian, is here. Below there's the translation of the most interesting parts.
.
.
.
Angela Gheorghiu’s coming back on the stage of Metropolitan opera with Traviata (whose premiere was on Monday evening) was rewarded with long ovations and applauses, says the correspondent of Mediafax in New York.
It’s one of the most difficult operas, the part of Violetta is a milestone, I identify myself best with this character. Who saw me in Traviata loves and suffers with me and dies a little bit with me in the end
She admits that this part made her famous, after the performance at Covent Garden in 1994. “I’m spoiled at the Met but Covent Garden is closer to my soul
.
Speaking about her relationship with the Met and its general director, Peter Gelb, Angela says “I’m glad that I managed to persuade him to have James Valenti as partner. I listened to him once and I suggested his name to the management of the Opera. I think it was a good choice, judging by the reaction of the public
Valenti is thankful. “This is my debut at the Met and I’m proud and happy that the premiere went well. I’m grateful to Angela. She’s a wonderful person, beautiful and generous, who gives everything on stage”
.

The journalist says that after the performance she signed lots of autographs and talked to all her admirers. “For me, the stage continues in the real life and my real live gets also on stage. In order to express myself artistically I need the attention of the people. The audience can’t be cheated. When you’re on stage you must identify with the character and for this kind of emotions some support from the real life is needed
.
Angela suggested that she overcame the separation from her husband “We talk on the phone, but I haven’t seen him since last year”. She also suggested that there’s a new love in her life but she didn't want to make this public yet. “When I think it’s time, I’ll talk about it. The scent of love can’t be forgotten and we always get back to it”.
For Easter she’ll go to the Romanian church in New York then she’ll celebrate with her friends and family. After Traviata she’ll go to London. There’s a new CD coming up under EMI, followed by several performances in Europe and Asia
.
.

0 comments:

Post a Comment