Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, September 14, 2012

Info Post


You'd probably ask why I chose this as a weekend post. 

Because I attended this Don Carlo performance a week ago. And if I close my eyes and concentrate I can still hear Dio, che nel alma infondere or O Carlo, ascolta.

Because it was my first Simon Keenlyside amazing, touching experience and this man's voice is coming from another world. His aria Io morrò, ma lieto in core was... was... indescribably beautiful. I was pretty far away from the stage but his voice in pianissimo touched my heart. Sighhhh

Io morrò, ma lieto in core, I will die glad in my heart
che potei così serbar for I have given Spain
alla Spagna un salvatore!   a saviour!
Ah! di me non ti scordar!   Ah! don't forget me!
Regnare tu dovevi,            You had to rule,
ed io morir per te.              And I had to die for you.


Because Rene Pape was a true King, both in voice and acting. Both god and human being. 

Because of Krassimira Stoyanova's crystal clear voice portraying Elisabeta, a voice that I loved from the first moment I listened to live, back in 2009, in Luisa Miller

Because of the powerful sound of the Staatsoper orchestra supporting each voice. 

Because of the short musical motif accompaning Don Carlo and Posa almost each time they got on stage.

Three unbelievable voices that make me say again that opera is a glorious addiction! When I left the opera house I knew I wanted to see this again. And I will.

Hint: Don Carlo will be performed in May 2013 at Royal Opera House - Jonas Kaufmann (Don Carlos), Anja Harteros (Elizabeth of Valois), Mariusz Kwiecien (Rodrigo, Marquis of Posa), Christine Rice (Princess Eboli), Ferruccio Furlanetto (Philip II) 


And now some listening

Don Carlo at ROH, 2008, act IV - Simon Keenlyside (Posa)/Rolando Villazon (Don Carlo) - Che parli tu di morte...O Carlo, ascolta


Don Carlo at ROH, 2009, act II - Simon Keenlyside (Posa)/Jonas Kaufmann (Don Carlo) - Che parli tu di morte...O Carlo, ascolta


Have a marvelous weekend, wherever you are!

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment