Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday, January 3, 2010

Info Post
.
Whom have you inherited this white skin and black eyes from?
I inherited my father. My sister looked like my mother. Brown hair with green eyes. We were both beautiful. Like any woman sometimes I’m not content with how I look like. But as I told you before, it’s all about what you have inside. I live my life at a high level, no matter what I’m doing.
.
I noticed that sometimes when you’re singing, you’re shaking. How do you manage to control the emotions for hours?
It’s a sort of magic. Maybe that’s why the opera singers are called divas. The word comes from divine; it’s something not even I can explain. It’s the moment I step on stage and realize I have to be someone else and have to send emotions. People expect me to make them feel the story, the atmosphere. The writer and the composer worked together and helped by the gift that the voice is. Nowadays there are microphones, but in opera houses we still talk about acoustics. So my voice goes directly to the audience.
.
Have you ever taken part in a beauty contest?
No, never. Until the age of 23 when I met my first boyfriend that also becomes my husband I have only known one word: practice. I was very aware of what I was doing.
.
Have you ever been to disco?
Never.
.
How come? This was a sacrifice you’ve made.
Not at all. I didn’t feel the need of doing what everybody else was doing. On the contrary, my colleagues wanted to be like me. I enjoyed spending a lot of time in the library to make discoveries. The shelves were full of vinyls and art albums. There was no opera/theatre premiere or concert in Bucharest without me being present. This happened between 1980 and 1990. I was in a concert hall or theatre every evening.
.
Do you have a very good friend, a confident?
Back in highschool I had a colleague, Eugenia Moise. She was studying folk singing.
.
Did you like wearing short skirts?
Not really. When I was a child I wanted people to think that I’m a serious person.
.
I’m glad you're wearing this dress. I heard people saying that you’re a beautiful woman wearing amazing dresses but you hide your legs.
You should check YouTube more often. I have many dresses, part bought, part received. For the encores sometimes I wear short dresses. I like the dresses that have some special, foamy.
.
You had one beautiful red lace dress for the concert in Bucharest. I hope you won’t mind my saying that, but this is the kind of dress that can’t be worn with underwear.
This is the least important thing. I met designers all over the world and they gave me many dresses. In the past few months I discovered in Romania an amazing designer, Catalin Botezatu. He came to Metropolitan and invited me to one of his shows then he started creating dresses for me. I was in Washington recently and some of the most important people, artists, politicians, admired one of his creations. A lot of ladies said they’d love to have a dress like mine. I’m spoiled from this point of view. But we should stop talking about dresses, ok?
.
Going back to highschool in Bucharest, is it true that from time to time you skipped classes?
Yes
.
Did it happen to cheat in test papers?
Sometimes. But not too much.
.
What subject drove you crazy?
Chemistry. I didn’t hate it but couldn’t understand anything. We had a lot of classes related to music. And I also spent a lot of hours practicing. I knew I had to pass a very important exam. For the next year there was only one place and it had to be mine. In the 9th grade one spot was created especially for me. Later on, at the Conservatory, my class only had 5 students. If two skipped the class, half of us weren’t there. It was taught.
.
Besides practicing did you have time to read a love novel?
Yes…. And many others.
.
Did you read "The Lady of the Camellias"? I have a purpose for asking this.
Yes, I read that too.
.
Did it happen to hide a love novel inside a music book to read without others know what you were reading?
No. I never mixed up things. I wasn’t afraid to do stuff. If I wanted to read, I read. Same with cheating. It happened once in highschool. Some of my colleagues were really good at doing this. But I wasn’t. So I opened the booked and started writing. My teacher, Hrisanta Petrescu (that later became Ion Marin’s wife) looked and me and told me “Angela Buralcu, 1. You may leave”.
.
And you left.
Yes, I left. My singing teacher, Mia Barbu, went to Mrs Petrescu and asked her to change the grade. And she changed it from 1 into 4.
.
Did you have a mentor?
I took my first exam with Mia Barbu. She was everything to me. She gave me the most precious advice. No matter the situation I’m in, I always think of what Mia Barbu would have said about that. She told me that I always have to enter though the front door even if I have to wait a little. And I did that. Starting 14, everything related to profession, personal life, love, friends, was entirely my judgment. I followed my instinct.
.
But tell me then why Angela Burlacu was holding a pillow and crying?
Well, it seems you read a lot. I was hungry, that’s why. There was not too much food to buy in that period. And I was living in a boarding school. We ate at lunch but in three-four hours we were hungry again. But it was a wonderful period and I enjoyed every minute of my practicing.
.
Did you like a boy back then? Have you ever been refused? Or have you refused someone?
No.
.
Even if he was…ugly?
I remember that I used to walk close to a church because I was in love with a priest. And I was very happy to be there.
.
Did it happen to do everything for the person you love?
Sure, it happened. I had my first boyfriend when I was 23. The one who held my hand also married me. I became Andrei’s wife and I entered one of the most important families in Romania. I had an amazing life in their home, together with their friends. In 1992, when I debuted in Covent Garden I fell in love again. We met and fell in love, just like that. Those who work in this field understand perfectly what happened to me.
.
When it happened, did you try to run away, to say it’s not possible?
No, I was honest with Andrei. I told him from the beginning and he understood.
.
And here you have the videos that correspond to this part. Thanks again to e2ul.
.


.

0 comments:

Post a Comment